POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The sun and stars : Re: The sun and stars Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The sun and stars
From: Warp
Date: 20 Apr 2003 16:38:54
Message: <3ea3055e@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> If I were designing a video camera for use in this kind of environment,
> I'd use multiple cameras with different settings and composite them
> together, or try to find a sensor with sufficient dynamic range. It
> could be as simple as a thin layer on the CCD that changes local opacity
> depending on the brightness of light on it. It could be passive, like
> today's color changing sunglasses, or an active liquid crystal filter.
> Or you could make a filter that varies in opacity evenly over the entire
> filter, and just take consecutive frames at different opacity levels,
> processing them together into the final image as you would with multiple
> cameras.

  All this to simply get some white dots on the image?-)

  Space movies often exaggerate the beautiness of stars in space, but
I wouldn't be surprised if actually they were just extremely boring
white dots... :)
  The images of the Hubble telescope are marvelously beautiful... But those
images are photographind details thousands of light-years big. You don't
get that kind of colorful images when photographing a planet or a
spaceship...

  But anyways, the point is making a visually pleasant artistic image,
not a physically correct one. :)